The 24th Annual Trinidad Memorial Lighthouse Ceremony will take place on Sunday, May 26 at 2 p.m. at the historic Memorial Lighthouse site at Edwards and Trinity streets. The ceremony honors those who have been lost or buried at sea and whose names are engraved at the site.
The ceremony will begin with bagpipe music by Matthew Marshall followed by the flag ceremony and Pledge of Allegiance led by McKinleyville Boy Scout Troop 99 and Girl Scouts from the Redwood Service Unit. Dana Hope, Trinidad Civic Club co-president, will preside and welcome guests. The Reverend Nancy Streufert, priest associate, from Saints Martha and Mary Episcopal Mission in Trinidad, will give the invocation and vocalist Samantha Day will sing Amazing Grace.
United States Coast Guard Humboldt Bay Deputy Sector Commander Clint Schlegel will address the audience followed by a reading of Alfred Lord Tennyson’s poem, Crossing the Bar.
Trinidad City Mayor Pro-Tem Jack West will ring the Trinidad Head Lighthouse Keeper’s cottage bell.
Janine Volkmar, Trinidad Civic Club recording secretary, will read the 247 memorial names, which will be followed by a USCG helicopter flyover.
Saxophonist Matthew Brogdon will close the ceremony with Taps. The ceremony is approximately 35 minutes in length and will take place rain or shine. There is no available seating.
Wreaths created by Trinidad Civic Club members with flowers compliments of Sun Valley Floral Farms, will be placed near the Memorial Wall. Dj-Kev will provide sound. Jackie Tidwell will photograph the ceremony.
The Trinidad Memorial Lighthouse was built by the Trinidad Civic Club, with wide community support, as a replica of the 1871 Trinidad Head Lighthouse and was dedicated on June 26, 1949.
Earl and Neva Hallmark donated the land to house the decommissioned 1871 Fourth Order Fresnel oil lantern which was in use in the Trinidad Head Lighthouse until 1947, when a Fifth Order electric lens was installed (the electric lens has been on permanent loan to Trinidad Museum since 2013, when an LED light was installed at the Trinidad Head Lighthouse.)
The two-ton 1898 bronze fog bell also was placed at the historic Memorial Lighthouse site in 1949 when the fog warning system on Trinidad Head was automated.
Both the Memorial Lighthouse and the Fog Bell are presently located at the Trinidad Harbor on property owned by the Cher-ae Heights Indian Community of the Trinidad Rancheria. However, the Memorial Ceremony continues to take place at the former site.
For information about the event, call (707) 677-3816 or go to trinidadcivicclub.org.
Grover appointed to council
A full agenda at last week’s Trinidad City Council meeting included the appointment of Dave Grover, who moved to Trinidad from upper New York state, to the City Council.
His appointment, filling the vacant seat of Jim Baker, will continue through the general election of November 2020.
He joins Mayor Steve Ladwig, Mayor Pro-Tem Jack West, former Mayor Dwight Miller and recently elected Tom Davies on the council. Mayor Ladwig said that vacancies on the Trinidad Trails and Short Term Rental Advisory Committees still need to be filled.
A highlight of the meeting was the colorful Trinidad Trails Power Point presentation by Humboldt State University environmental science students Natasha Braziel, Alexander Brown, Grant Olin and Andie White, who, supervised by their professor Dr. Yvonne Everett, assisted the Trails Committee on future planning recommendations including public access, maintenance, signage, public outreach and funding.
The students received a Proclamation from Mayor Ladwig and thanks from Trails Committee contributors Jack West, Tom Davies, Ben Morehead, Angela Zetter and Shirley Laos. The audience showed its appreciation with enthusiastic applause.
In other council business, a city budget meeting was announced for May 22 and a Trinidad Water System Production Study was presented by GHD engineer Steve Allen having to do with improvements that might be needed at the water plant, as well as testing Luffenholtz Creek flow capacity, in the event more water hook-ups are requested.
It was a preliminary report, with more study needed, however the initial report suggested that Luffenholtz Creek has sufficient capacity for some additional hook-ups. Many audience members asked good questions about the report.
One important matter not on the Discussion/Action Agenda was recent crime, vandalism and burglaries. Windows have been smashed at the HSU Marine Laboratory, Trinidad Museum, parked vehicles and at the 1871 Trinidad Head Lighthouse. Last week a home north of Trinidad was burglarized and the owner’s car was stolen. If citizens see something, say something to Deputy Sheriff Luke Mathieson on duty at the Trinidad Police Office at 463 Trinity St.
Email Patti at [email protected].