Travis Turner: Let's Start Now To Change The Halloween/New Year's Eve Dynamic

Halloween 2011. KLH | Eye

Halloween 2011 aftermath. KLH | Eye

Dear Arcata Community Members,

Sometimes when I travel I wish I could bring just a piece of Arcata to the rest of the world with me. Arcata’s grassroots community involvement and ideological diversity is so amazing.

We are problem solvers here. We are highly educated, opinionated and grounded with a sense of community cooperation. We care about progress more than any community I have ever lived in. We, fortunately, are not perfect. We have challenges that face us, just like every other community, and those challenges help us become even better, if we choose to solve them.

One challenge that has gone on in its current negative state, for far too long, is The Plaza on Halloween and New Year’s Eve. It’s a bit ironic that both of these days signify an end to the previous year. Halloween was originally the Celtic New Year’s Eve.

This year, my company, Venatore Media, along with Treehouse Music Entourage and Arcata Main Street, are hoping to change the dynamic of the Plaza to something positive on those celebratory two days. We hope to create a safe and community charged event that people can be proud of, not something that most of us hide from.

As most of you know, the Plaza scene has continued to deteriorate. Last year an Arcata police officer had a bottle smashed on his face. One man was walking around the Plaza with an AR-15 and a fully loaded clip in his pocket. To continue to step aside and make this a police issue is unconscionable and does not reflect the best of our community. To continue to make the Arcata Police Department mop up the aftermath of a free-for-all when there is an alternative would literally be the definition of insanity. To continue to let the city pay for overtime, cleanup and repairs when something better is available does not bode well for future problems.

This year we hope to harness the festive energy of the Plaza and make it a force for something great and finally get away from the chaos of the last several years. We want to turn this into an event that the entire community can get behind.

We can’t do it alone. We need your help.

We need the community to want something different. We need businesses and the people living around the Plaza to want something more favorable. It will still be loud, but it will be managed. It will still be messy but it will be cleaned up without the support of your tax dollars. It will be a ton of work, but work that absolutely can be accomplished. It will be expensive that is why we will not attempt it unless we have your support.

If you feel as I do and want to see something structured and safe we need you to send a message to the City Council and the city manager.

I can tell you, with your help, this year will not be like years past. Please send comments and questions to [email protected]

Best regards,

Travis Turner

Venatore Media Company

Arcata

Authors

Related posts

135 Comments

1. Pingback: Travis Turner: Let’s Start Now To Change The Halloween/New Year’s Eve Dynamic – Arcata Eye | ADT Testing Site

2. Nor Cal said:

As long as the rich HSU students are around this will be a bigger and bigger problem they don't care there from the filthy rich,, there are far better communities in other state's without 28 billion in debt.. I just got thrown into the street into traffic 4 Mondays ago spit on by Lisa Simmons, s! here boy friend Dillon is a Coward,, so he called her.. this after Lisa harassed a mentally ill person I care for… named Theresa.. The police did nothing but, tell me get walking,, mind you I have lived there over 10 years,,,,, were as Lisa was a homeless bum…. I think most the bars should be closed Toby and jack draws trouble transients drunks,, not classy a drunk drug hole…. I.am in the process of suing the officers and the city,,,,, for allowing this felony to happen to a good to a citizen me….. I could have been killed. your wrong Arcata dangerous, unless you like brutal stupid police.. and I called the sargent of Arcata police back and still nothing.. I will get this done sick of Arcata your dead wrong here so my name is Russell,, are you going to do something?

3. Nor Cal said:

19. Nor Cal said:

20. Nor Cal said:

21. Nor Cal said:

22. Nor Cal said:

23. Nor Cal said:

24. Steven Bridenbaugh said:

I like the idea of preventing bad happenings on the plaza by creating good happenings. Make the Plaza a gigantic sculpture garden, with temporary plaster and wire sculptures, painted with tempera. Have a carnival, etc. Employ actors to entertain on the Plaza, etc.

25. Steven Bridenbaugh said:

41. Steven Bridenbaugh said:

42. Steven Bridenbaugh said:

43. Steven Bridenbaugh said:

44. Steven Bridenbaugh said:

45. Steven Bridenbaugh said:

46. JBad Er said:

I'm working with HSU Student Affairs office to get volunteers together for event nights on the plaza to protect citizens from police brutality and keep the peace, maybe we could all talk.

47. JBad Er said:

62. JBad Er said:

63. JBad Er said:

64. JBad Er said:

65. JBad Er said:

66. JBad Er said:

67. JBad Er said:

I'm working with HSU Student Affairs office to get volunteers to help against police brutality, maybe we could all talk.

68. Gala Beleza Events & Weddings said:

Yes, yes, yes! Count us in to support the cause! Please contact Gala Beleza with ways that we can support a fun, safe, and community oriented events on Halloween & New Years! We have ideas to contribute. 😉

69. Gala Beleza Events & Weddings said: