In celebration of National Surveyors Week (March 17 – 22), local chapters of California Land Surveyors Association (CLSA) and Professional Engineers in California Government (PECG) sponsored the annual Trig*Star event March 22 at McKinleyville High School. The local chapter of CLSA provided refreshments and the local chapter of PECG provided the cash awards.
The Trig*Star event is a high school math competition consisting of timed exercises that involve solving trigonometry problems using right triangle formulas, circle formulas, the law of sines and the law of cosines.
Ryan Dolan was the top scorer of 18 competitors and was named the local 2019 Trig*Star Champion. He automatically gains entry to the State competition and can possibly continue to the National competition. The top 5 competitors received cash awards courtesy of Professional Engineers in California Government. The top two competitors will also receive cash awards from State Sponsor the California Transportation Foundation ( CTF).
Special thanks to Camilla Barrett, Jessica Wahlund and the staff at McKinleyville High School for hosting the event. For more information on Careers in Land surveying Call (916) 239-4083 or visit CLSA online at surveypath.org.
At the brewery
• Good Company performs Celtic music today, March 27 from 8 to 11 p.m. at the Six Rivers Brewery, 1300 Central Ave. in McKinleyville.
• Jimmy Jeff & the Gypsy Band perform Thursday, March 28 from 9 t0 11 p.m. The band plays covers of Hendrix and Prince and plays funk, blues and R&B.
• Michael Davyid performs Friday, March 29 from 8 to 11 p.m. Davyid is a solo song writer and guitarist.
• Trivia Night is Sunday, March 31 at 8 p.m. First prize is $50 in brwery bucks.
• Karaoke with DJ Marv is Monday, April 1 at 9 p.m.