Michael H. Pazeian
Mad River Union
ARCATA/MCKINLEYVILLE, Oct. 30 – After months of negotiations , there is a tentative agreement between teachers and the Northern Humboldt Union High School District (NHUHSD).
On Oct. 21, 51 Arcata High and 30 McKinleyville High teachers voted on the proposed contract, with 81.5 percent voting in favor of it.
NHUHSD Superintendent Roger Macdonald said that he agreement will be on the agenda for the next NHUHSD Board of Trustees meeting on Tuesdayl, Nov. 12.
“I don’t anticipate any issues,” Macdonald said.
Teacher JoAnn Moore, chair of the teachers negotiation team, released a statement outlining the terms of the proposed contract. Moore stated:
• Effective July 1, 2019: a 1.0 percent salary increase (retroactive to July 1, 2019). Increase is permanent on the Salary Schedule
• Our Health and Welfare benefits (medical/dental/vision) are fully covered at the Oak plan level for one year for full-time FTEs. District cost is $21,085.32 per member.
• Redwood Insurance will cost certificated members $862.44 for July 1, 2019 through June 30, 2020 for those members who want this coverage. Deductions would be evenly deducted from 10 paychecks at $86.24/check.
• The Benefits Cap will increase from $15,000 to $16,500 on July 1, 2019 (again, retroactively).
• Insurance for part-time teachers (.6 - .8 FTE’s): The District will continue to contribute towards your portion of the medical insurance plan of your choice for July 2019 through June 2020. The District will contribute a flat amount of $17,255.76 towards the purchase of the Medical Plan of your choice. (Article 184.108.40.206) This is the same amount as last year. Remember: As a part-timer, you are not required to buy insurance.
• Class advisors – Freshman, sophomore and junior class advisors will have no additional duties each year beyond their class advisor duties
• Senior class advisors will each receive a stipend of $750 in addition to no additional duties beyond their class advisor duties
• Optional Paid PD Day: One
day, to be determined for 2020-21–paid at your average daily rate (yearly salary /182 days)
• Contract term: is in effect from July 1, 2019 to June 30, 2020.
Moore also commented on the proposed contract, stating “Teachers are grateful about the small permanent increase we have received, as well as the District providing our medical insurance at the Oak level. Teachers, however, remain tremendously concerned about the hole teachers have been put in with our wages keeping pace with the cost of living and our benefits cap remaining over $5,000 below the cost of our second tier insurance (before next year’s increase). We will immediately start to develop our contract re-openers in order to provide the District with a budgetary framework to meet the needs of the majority stakeholders – the teachers.”