Ferrer Sentence Becomes A Political Issue In DA Race

Kevin L. Hoover
Mad River Union

HUMBOLDT – The plea deal that resulted in an effective two-year jail sentence given to Juan Joseph Ferrer for stabbing Douglas Anderson-Jordet to death in Arcata last Nov. 25 could be rescinded.

The campaign for District Attorney candidate Arnie Klein issued a press release last Thursday, March 6 stating, “Arnie Klein has been contacted by family members of Douglas Anderson-Jordet to ask the court to set aside the defendant Juan Ferrer’s plea at the time of sentencing, April 3.”

The Klein statement says that family members will lobby the DA’s Office with letters to get the plea rescinded.

When Juan Ferrer was first arrested, friends fiercely defended his innocence. Now the debate is over how much time the confessed killer of Douglas Anderson-Jordet will spend incarcerated.

When Juan Ferrer was first arrested, friends fiercely defended his innocence. Now the debate is over how much time the confessed killer of Douglas Anderson-Jordet will spend incarcerated.

The effort to reverse the plea, which was originally engineered by Deputy District Attorney Elan Firpo, also a candidate for the office, has become a campaign issue.

DA Candidate Allan Dollison also objected to the plea deal. “Although I have pointed out the dangerously low staffing levels are a huge problem, this plea deal rests on a misconception of Murder and the law. I have taken Murder cases to trial. Ms. Firpo has not.”

Firpo said she crafted the plea with what she believed were the wishes of the victim’s family in mind.

She said she had been speaking with Anderson-Jordet’s sister, who said she represented the entire family. Now, with the emergence of the second sister, Firpo said, “there’s a divide in the family.”

She said a second sister has emerged with different views, and “another candidate is talking to the family and trying to sway their views.”

Firpo said she was attempting to have a “meaningful conversation” with the other sister before deciding whether or not to revisit the current plea arrangement.

“Nothing about the case has changed,” Firpo said, except for the statements by other candidates supposedly representing differing views by family members in the news media. While she could rescind the plea, she said, “It’s not up to the family.”

Ferrer and other defendants involved in the killing, Nicholas Benjamin Stoiber and Sophie Buttercup Rocheleau, are scheduled for sentencing April 3.

Authors

Related posts

4 Comments

  1. Pingback: Ferrer found guilty of manslaughter | Mad River Union

  2. duffelfan said:

    From the Times Standard:

    Deputy District Attorney Elan Firpo, who prosecuted the Ferrer case and is also running for district attorney, said on Friday that she has been in contact with the family “throughout the case,” but has not been contacted about their intent to challenge it.
    ”They have never indicated to me that they wanted to challenge the plea,” Firpo said. “If they changed their mind, then they need to let me know, and I’ll ask the court to reject the plea agreement and set the case for trial.”
    http://www.times-standard.com/localnews/ci_25302479/family-slain-arcata-chef-challenge-plea-deal-several

  3. SolarBozo said:

    This issue has made Firpo unelectable. She should bow out so she does not split the progressive vote.

Top
X