Community articles

Be Jada’s Valentine with her sweet and savory Cupid Crunch

Be Jada’s Valentine with her sweet and savory Cupid Crunch

Valentine’s Day is a great time to create a tasty treat for your sweetie. It’s so much nicer than buying some ugly hair ornament they will never wear.   One awesome thing about holidays is they provide an excuse for gluttony which I, for one, welcome with unbridled enthusiasm, If I sit down and eat

Prime Arcata business locations available

Kevin L. Hoover Mad River Union ARCATA – The ceaseless churn in building occupancy has made available for tenancy some choice Arcata business spaces. Belle Starr Longtime Plaza women’s clothing store Belle Starr has consolidated its operations at its Eureka store, leaving vacant the prime retail spot at 863 H St. on the Plaza’s west

KEET’s Golden Jubilee supports PBS North Coast

GOLDEN JUBILEE Local luminaries gathered at Eureka’s fabled Carson Mansion Saturday night for the KEET-TV Golden Jubilee. Attendees noshed on Petite Filet Mignon with Sauce Robert while community leaders spoke of the value of public television and of supporting PBS North Coast. The Corporation for Public Broadcasting is no longer granting waivers to KEET-TV, which

Plaza Improvement Survey deadline extended to March 1 (English and Español)

PLAZA IMPROVEMENT TASK FORCE TO EXTEND DEADLINE FOR THE COMMUNITY PLAZA IMPROVEMENT SURVEY Arcata, CA, February 1, 2019 – The City of Arcata’s newly-formed Plaza Improvement Task Force has developed a short online survey to gather community input on recommendations to improve Arcata’s Plaza. In order to best serve Arcata’s diverse population, the Task Force

Extreme Weather Shelter tonight, Monday, Feb. 4

Arcata House Partnership  ARCATA – Arcata House Partnership will host the Regional Extreme Weather Shelter tonight to serve people who are homeless. Shelter screenings will begin at 4:15 p.m. today at the Annex, located at 501 Ninth St. in Arcata. Screenings will conclude and doors will close at 5 p.m.. Space is limited and first come, first serve.

Kirsten’s Kitchen: Tasty game-day noshes, and the wing’s the thing

Super Bowl time has something for everyone – the game, the parties, the food! Thankfully I am most invested in the food portion, so disappointment never awaits  me. Buffalo-style hot wings are among my favorites, but if you are not into eating poultry check out these tofu wings.  Freezing and then defrosting the tofu gives

Julie Fulkerson: Welcome to Arcata – we have it all, and here’s a partial list

There is ​no​ other city in Humboldt County or perhaps Northern California that has the positive attributes and resources of downtown Arcata​. ​ In a similar footprint as the Bayshore Mall (seriously, the area between Wildberries Marketplace and Plaza Shoe Shop), Arcata has more diversity and walkability than any other community in Humboldt offers. Arcata

Blue Lake Notes: ‘Put a lid on it’

The Mad River Grange continues to work on raising money for a new roof. Anyone can donate to the “Put a lid on it” campaign to help raise funds for the roof.  The Grange hopes to be able to put the new roof on this year. I’m also pleased to announce that the Grange has