Community articles

An explosive season of Humboldt Crabs victories so far

An explosive season of Humboldt Crabs victories so far

Richard LaPreziosa Mad River Union ARCATA – In the five games the Humboldt Crabs played last week, three of them saw double digit scores by the Crabs and not one of them was a loss as they improved their record to 22 wins and five losses. It all started Tuesday night at the Arcata Ball

Crab Gab: A moment of silence at the ballpark

Members of Dennison’s family came from near and far to celebrate his life in a unique way. His brother, Paul Dennison, threw out the first pitch. Also attending were Paul’s wife, Janice, Wayne’s sister Dian Tucker and her husband James, Wayne’s son, Wally, and Wayne’s ex-wife Jenny. Other friends gathered in the section of the bleachers where Wayne usually sat.

Bayside Corners: Community survey and Grange lawsuit update, plus tasty bagels

Mark your calendar for the next Brunch in Bayside, coming up on Sunday, July 25. With the start of COVID, Bayside Community Hall changed its quarterly pancake breakfast to a to-go format brunch, each one offering a new menu focused on seasonal and local ingredients.  The July menu, designed by chef Casandra Kelly, features made-from-scratch

Trinidad Tidings: Poltz brings high-energy show to Trinidad

Folk singer, guitarist, songwriter, storyteller Steve Poltz filled the Town Hall with his high-energy solo show in 2018.  He returns to Trinidad on Monday, July 26 at 7 p.m. for another live appearance performing “rockin’ countrified folk slices of sardonic Americana”  selections from his 12 records, including One Left Shoe, Dreamhouse, Folk Singer and Shine

Trinidad Tidings: Harvest boxes available, Lighthouse grading to proceed

Take a morning walk with biologist Russ Namitz winding through the forest of Elk Head, off Stagecoach Road, listening and looking for songbirds on Saturday, July 10 from 9:30 to 11:30 a.m. The trail opens up to the ocean offering spectacular views of offshore rocks and seabirds. Come prepared for a flat 1.5 mile walk. Spotting scope will be provided compliments of event sponsor Trinidad Coastal Land Trust, or you can bring your own binoculars. 

Humboldt Crabs can’t help it if they’re good

“They can’t help it if they’re good!” one fan told me yesterday during the game. I asked another prominent super-fan named Steven why he wasn’t leaving early to beat the traffic, and he told me “Well, there’s no traffic on the way home first of all, so we don’t have to beat the traffic.” Asked what the score was at this point in the game he simply replied “I don’t know.”

X