Community articles

Quinn Miller: Journalism And Newspaper Production Teach Teamwork, Productivity And Life Success – May 19, 2010

As my fourth and final year of Arcata High draws to a close, many aspects of my academic career seem to bleed together. I find myself wondering which skills that I have attained in High School will be essential to succeeding at the next level. The skills that I have learned on the staff of

Why We Have To Look At This *ucking Thing Every Day – May 7, 2010

The *UCK YEAH! bus is usually parked next to Co-op, taking up at least two parking spaces and expelling a cloud of diesel smog as its warms the engine for a move across the street every few days. Last week, a group of schoolchildren walking to the store for a tour had to pass through the exhaust, squinting curiously through the toxic haze at the semi-profane placard on the back.

Arcata's Park Rangers Rove The Forests' Far Corners – April 15, 2010

At one trash-infested site on the Campbell Creek watershed – an area cleaned out with great effort by Arcata High School students last year and already re-ruined – Stonebarger leaves a business card and written warning on a tent. If the gear is still there the next day, he’ll take it away. As to the enduring mystery of how campers have the energy to carry weighty equipment and food containers uphill into the woods, but neglect to take the emptied or disused materials out when they leave, he has no answers.