Community articles

Thanksgiving 2018 dinners and more

Thanksgiving 2018 dinners and more

Mad River Union HUMBOLDT – Thanksgiving celebrations and other events have been scheduled for the annual holiday. This list may expand as further announcements roll in. Vegan Society of Humboldt Join the Vegan Society of Humboldt for the annual Thanksliving Potluck Celebration on Sunday, Nov. 18 from 2 to 4 p.m. at the Humboldt Area

Blue Lake Notes: Ready for the rain

I have to admit, I’m ready for the rain to come, but at the same time I am enjoying the fabulous, sunny, fall weather we are having. It makes the late fall activities more enjoyable. Grange breakfast The monthly Mad River Grange breakfast is coming up on Sunday, Nov. 11. Enjoy a hearty meal of

McKinley Museum a trove of history, science, scholarship

Kevin L. Hoover Mad River Union CANTON, OHIO – Whichever side you may be on regarding Measure M and the Arcata Plaza’s statue, the McKinley Presidential Museum and Library agrees with you. Like many here in Arcata, the staff there holds America’s 25th president in high regard, and at the same time, doesn’t want Arcata’s

Arcata Plaza fire memories

Alex Stillman Historical Sites Society of Arcata ARCATA –  I heard fire engines as I was leaving an Historical Sites Society of Arcata meeting at Kaaren Buffington’s home early in the evening of Nov. 12, 1979. I decided to walk to the Plaza to see what was happening.  The buildings on the corner of 9th

Eco Briefs: Explore the dunes, go birding at the marsh, restore Patrick’s Point

LANPHERE DUNES Join a Friends of the Dunes Naturalist for a free guided tour of the Lanphere Dunes Unit of the Humboldt Bay National Wildlife Refuge on Saturday, Nov. 3 from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. The Lanphere Dunes Unit is home to diverse coastal ecosystems including coastal dune forest, seasonal wetlands, and large moving