Community articles

Trinidad Tidings: Holiday cheer in the seaside village

Trinidad Tidings: Holiday cheer in the seaside village

The Greater Trinidad Chamber of Commerce invites the Trinidad community to the annual Trinidad Holiday Ball on Saturday, Dec. 8 from 6 to 10 p.m. at Trinidad Town Hall. The Val Leone Jazz Quartet will perform while you enjoy beverages from local breweries and wineries and catering by Brett Shuler Catering. There will be a

Arcata Chamber Classics: Mad River Community Hospital – a vision and labor of love

Arcata Chamber of Commerce Executive Director  Joellen Clark-Peterson interviews Jed Rudd, director of ancillary services and safety at Mad River Community Hospital, a 26-year Arcata Chamber member. How did you get involved with Mad River Community Hospital (MRCH)? I’ve worked in medical administration for 12 years and was last serving in New Mexico when this

Blue Lake Notes: Thankful in Blue Lake

Happy Thanksgiving! I know that this year, I am thankful for so many people in my community who make Blue Lake the best place to live! I could never imagine to remember all the important people to thank – there are so many more than I’m about to list – but I would like to

Trinidad Tidings: Blessing of the Fleet Thanksgiving morning

The annual Blessing of the Fleet will take place on Thanksgiving at 10 a.m. at the Trinidad Civic Club’s former Memorial Lighthouse site at Edwards and Trinity streets. Sea captains and their crews, who set out in the worst possible weather to harvest the sea’s bounty, will be recognized with blessings, prayers, songs, and the

Dogtown: Take a fuzzy friend home for the holidays

The frosty mornings and early sunsets are a good reminder that we really are heading for winter, despite the lovely sunny afternoons. Preparations  for winter at the shelter include a nice new load of pine chips in our play yard (because it really will rain someday), gathering donations for the annual Holiday Open House, and

CERT training will help Humboldt survive the next disaster

Linda Nellist CERT Coalition Lead Instructor What is CERT? CERT stands for Community Emergency Response Team. Currently, Humboldt County has 9 CERT teams, with several new ones being formed. All CERT volunteers have been trained in basic disaster response skills, such as fire safety, light search and rescue, team organization, and disaster medical operations. They